Bullet Journal for Skin + Mood
Often, how we feel on the inside is reflected in how we look on the outside. And, when we're struggling with breakouts, irritation and inflammation of the skin it can be hard to feel like our most confident, glowing self.
This Jihi Journal for Feeling and Looking Your Best is designed to help you restore that inner and outer glow by helping you find rest, ease and balance, as well as giving you the tools to monitor breakouts and mood throughout the month.
New to bullet journals? Learn more about them here.
The Jihi Skin and Mood Tracker PDF
This simple but mighty free skin and mood tracker that you can use to become more knowledgeable and proactive about your daily habits. By following a few simple steps, you can help your body find its most balanced, glowing state and find the joy of radiating inside and out.
This simple to use skin and mood tracker will help you visualize your mood and skin over time and correlate this with your daily habits. Designed to be fast and easy to use, this printable tracker can be filled out in less than 1 minute per day, and - while based on well-known best practices for enhancing that inner and outer glow - can be easily modified according to your own lifestyle and wellness goals.
Steps to Use Jihi's Skin and Mood Tracker PDF
Fill out the month in the corner and set 2 custom lifestyle habits (optional).
Answer the question "how clear is my skin?". Rate it from 0-3 with a simple dot in the correct square.
A rough guide, or make it your own:
|0||not clear - lots of breakouts|
|2||a spot or two|
Then answer the question "what was the quality of my mood today?".
A rough guide, or make it your own:
|0||I was down and depressed/anxious|
|1||I felt melancholy/flat but functional|
|2||I felt pretty good|
|3||I felt great|
Why do these questions matter?
Our skin is a reflection of our overall health and wellness. The skin can reflect hormonal changes, lack of sleep, stress, or poor dietary choices. Keeping an eye on the patterns of our skin can help us stay aware of the messages our body is trying to convey, as well as make us more mindful of our stress and hormonal cycles.
Similarly, keeping an eye on our mood is a good way to check in with ourselves. If you're broken out + stressed and anxious, it can be valuable to know if you're on your period (or about to be) or dealing with a big deadline at work. Are your mood and skin correlating, or separate? How is your mood being impacted by lifestyle habits like activity, meditation and eating your fruits and veggies?
This inner and outer connection is a great way to get a holistic view of "how we are" on a day to day basis, and help prioritize self-care with more Jihi "compassion" when we're on the low end of the spectrum.
Keeping track of our habits
Throughout the day, make a note of your habits putting a simple yes or no (y/n or a dot for yes and empty for no) in the box next to the behavior. Every day doesn't need to be perfect, but tracking daily will help illuminate which behaviors impact your vibrancy the most.
Setting Yourself Up for Success
Our suggested best practices on the daily tracker are:
- To be active - regular activity is critical for both your inner and outer glow. Studies show that exercising regularly is one of the best ways to improve mood, energy, sleep, memory and performance. People who exercise regularly tend to feel more relaxed and positive about themselves, with increased vitality and self-confidence. In addition to boosting serotonin and supporting the immune system, regular physical activity delivers oxygen and nutrients to the skin, promotes collagen production, and promotes new skin cells which keeps the skin looking youthful and glowing.
- To stretch - stretching moves energy throughout the body, and reduces the chances of soreness and discomfort from exercise (which can contribute to sleeplessness and discomfort at night). In addition, stretching the body helps with relaxation, mindfulness, and stress relief.
To meditate - meditating can be as simple or complex as you'd like it to be, but for the purposes of this tracker we think of meditation as "taking time to breathe, and taking time to release resistance." Taking a moment of mindfulness each day to come within and be honest with ourselves in a Jihi (compassionate), gentle way is a wonderful tool to relieve stress and calm anxiety. Coming inward is a valuable tool on the path to Self-Centered Wellness, a practice that encourages us to come within to find our power, purpose and joy.
For a short, powerful meditation to help you connect with your most vibrant self, check out Jihi's Self-Centered Wellness meditation.
- To apply sunscreen - we all know that wearing sunscreen is one of the best - and easiest - ways to protect our health and skin at any age. Sunscreen helps prevent sunburn, skin cancer, and signs of premature aging. Making a note of daily sunscreen use keeps us accountable to protect our skin, even if it's just because we're sitting next to a window all day. Your future self will thank you!
- To remove makeup before sleep - like sunscreen, this is one of those habits that we all know but can be guilty of. Sometimes, it's just so easy to plop into bed and go right to sleep. Don't do it though! It's very important to properly remove makeup and cleanse your skin before flowing to sleep. The skin renews itself while you sleep, and if you leave makeup on the skin can't breathe and properly renew. Leaving makeup on your skin overnight clogs pores, leading to acne and blackheads. Give your skin a chance to breathe and refresh by washing it nightly with a gentle cleanser.
- To experiment with topical CBD (like Jihi's Petal Milk Serum) - topical CBD is more than just a fad, it's a great tool to promote inner and outer balance and maintain that vibrant glow! Topical CBD nourishes the body's endocannabinoid system, which emerging science indicates is involved in many components of our health ranging from sleep to mood, appetite and memory. As a skincare topical, CBD is an antioxidant that can help reduce inflammation, regulate oil production and neutralize free radical damage. It is recommended for those with inflamed, sensitive skin, as well as dry and aging skin. A hyaluronic acid serum like Jihi's Petal Milk serum can calm and deeply nourish the skin barrier while reducing visible signs of aging, integrating the benefits of CBD into your wellness routine and rejuvenating your overall appearance.
- Customizable goals - fill in these two blank lines with whatever tools you use (or want to use) to support your most vibrant self. Not sure what to put here? Maybe you want to make a commitment to journal, or take some time each day for self-care. Maybe it's a commitment to disconnect from social media for a period each day, or check in daily with someone you love.
Based on bullet journal organizational concepts, this Jihi Journal for Feeling + Looking Your Best will help you to get a quick, customizable view of your skin and mood over the course of the month. The skin and mood tracker bullet journal layout allows you to instantly graph your skin and mood throughout the month and correlate "skin flare ups" or low mood days with your corresponding habits, giving you an idea which lifestyle choices are most critical to your overall vitality.
Interpreting Your Results
Here is an example of what a filled out tracker looks like. After filling it out daily, you can highlight the patterns at the end of the month, and see what correlating behaviors had the most impact on exercise performance and recovery:
From this skin and mood tracker, here are a few things we can observe:
- Skin "flare ups" tended to happen in 2-3 day bursts
- These flare ups were usually preceded by a combination of forgetting to take off makeup + drinking too much alcohol + skipping workouts
- Whenever the caffeine/alcohol/exercise equation became imbalanced, it triggered a skin flare up that carried on for 2-3 days
Of course, correlation doesn't equal causation, so we can't say for sure that these behaviors are the cause of breakouts, or that skin and mood are always linked. What we know is that periods of stress or getting off of our routine can lead to a lack of self-care that can trigger stress responses from the body - like breakouts, anxiety, and restlessness.
Each month you track will reveal new insights and empower your self-knowledge, helping to create a smoother month ahead. Armed with this information, you'll be empowered to gradually discover what we hope is the best sleep of your life!
Using the Skin and Mood Tracker PDF to Test Supplements
You can also use this sleep tracker to answer the question if a supplement, like CBD, is helping with your skin and mood. Our Petal Milk Serum uses CBD, hyaluronic acid, vitamins b3 and C, aloe vera, and more nourishing oils to help calm and nourish skin while supporting your mood and overall quality of life. To answer the question "is CBD skin care right for me?" you can try filling out the tracker for a month before using a topical solution like Petal Milk and then adding the serum into your routine to compare, or, you can compare different patterns of use (for instance, applying 2x/day to 1x/day) with skin clarity and mood over time.
Many people wonder if CBD has a panacea effect, or if it will help their skin. By tracking your skin and mood quality along with CBD dosage, you can watch over time and see how it works for your body. To learn more about using the skin and mood tracker PDF to answer the question if CBD works for you, check out this resource.
We provide both printable and fillable versions of the PDFs, so you can use them however best works for you. If you'd like to edit the fields with our prompts, you can do this by opening them in Adobe Acrobat.
In summary, a skin and mood tracking bullet journal framework can be a very helpful way to stay mindful and accountable for your behaviors and be aware of how factors like lifestyle choices and supplements affect your skin over time.