Microgreens Avocado Toast
Mornings are the perfect time to set the foundation for a balanced, grounded day. We love a morning stretch and breath work with Merrimint in hand to loosen up tired hands, joints and shoulders. Within an hour of waking its best fo follow this morning ritual with a light, nourishing breakfast.
Eating within an hour of waking up is ideal to balance blood sugar, and will impact cortisol (stress) hormones for the whole day to come. A "protein-rich breakfast is important because it stabilizes blood sugar, jumpstarts metabolism, and improves energy level, focus and mood for the day," explains Dr. Caitlin Gordon, owner of Amaluna Wellness in Boulder, Colorado.
You can cook your eggs however you would like to for this recipe, but we love a runny yolk from a poached egg, a fried egg, or a sunny side up egg. You can also scramble your eggs, but for this recipe a soft scramble is ideal for texture.
Microgreens Avocado Toast Recipe
- 1 slice bread, toasted
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 1/2 - 1 TSP chia seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, if desired
- 1 egg, cooked as desired (poached, fried, over easy, or scrambled)
- 2 TBSP microgreens
- Spread the mashed avocado on the slice of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle chia seeds on top. Season with salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes if using.
- Top with an egg cooked your favorite way. Our preference is a poached egg!
- Top with microgreens and enjoy.
How to Poach an Egg
To quickly poach an egg, you can use your electric pressure cooker. Place 1 cup of water in the bottom and add the rack to the insert. Spray a small ramekin or a silicone egg cup lightly with cooking spray or olive oil. Add egg to the cup and place on the rack. Cook on High pressure for 3 minutes and manually release pressure when done.
Spice it Up
- Add your favorite hot sauce to make it even more spicy, or simply up the amount of red pepper flakes you use.
- Spread a thin layer of goat cheese on the toast before adding the avocado for a tangy twist.
- Don't eat eggs? Use tofu instead of egg on top for protein!