A Science Based Ritual for Sleep
Noise machines. Bedtime blue-light banning. Breathwork. Black-out curtains. Another glass of wine. Over the counter sleep-aids. We've all been to the point where sleep just isn't coming naturally and we're desperate to try anything that works. When insomnia, sleep disruption, or racing thoughts hit, we're often quick to try anything that will just help us get to sleep.
However, what we often fail to recognize is that parts of our pre-bedtime routine can play a huge part in our poor sleep hygiene. For example, that one glass of wine that helps you take the edge off, will only keep you up at night by disrupting your ability to hit the critical REM portion of your sleep cycle. On the other hand, replacing your rituals with a few holistic solutions, like our Reverie Evening Tincture with CBD and melatonin, may not only help you fall asleep faster, but can also improve your overall sleep quality, especially when middle of the night wake-ups occur.
Ritual for Sleep:
- A few hours before bed*, begin your ritual with 0.5-1.0 ml of Reverie Evening Tincture. Our blend of CBD, herbs, and melatonin work harmoniously together to bring your body deep relaxation and soothe your mind, while simultaneously kick-starting and regulating your sleep-wake cycle.
*Or any time you would reach for a glass of wine or over-the-counter sleep aid.
- Before getting into bed, try implementing a few mindfulness exercises to help you drop whatever you are carrying from the day. We love pairing a quick bullet journal session with our Drop the Day meditation to prepare our mind and body for rest and relaxation.
- For those who struggle with nighttime wake-ups, we recommend keeping Reverie nearby. We often reach for this tincture as part of our middle of the night remedy, along with cold-air and a light book to help get us back to sleep.
Why It Works:
At the root of our nighttime ritual, is oral CBD (cannabidiol), a plant derived component that functions in your body by using biomimicry to interact with your endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for maintaining homeostasis in your body. Now what exactly does that mean? We know, to most of us, those words mean nothing. Essentially, this ritual works due to the following reasons:
- Biomimicry, or the process of mimicking naturally occurring systems and solutions to solve everyday problems, allows for us to harness our bodies desire to return to a balanced state. Over time, the properties in CBD are then able to promote improved functionality of your endocannabinoid receptors allowing for our bodies to return to a natural balance.
- Additionally, the endocannabinoid has been found to affect our sleep-wake cycles or the natural cadence of our bodies’ awareness for when it is time to sleep. A dysregulated sleep cycle will negatively impact the endocannabinoid system, making it harder for your body to relax and fall asleep.
- Conversely, the use of alcohol as a sleep aid has long been shown to inhibit REM sleep and negatively impact your sleep-wake cycle. Because your body is metabolizing alcohol slowly, your blood alcohol level is most likely to drop while you are asleep, making you more prone to sleep-disruption as your body shifts.
As we seek to perfect the our evening rituals and find new ways to bring our bodies to homeostasis, we are sharing our #BedsideStories with you via our social media. Backed with our knowledge of the endocannabinoid system, we believe that Jihi fits perfectly into any nighttime routine and we’d love to hear just how it fits into yours. Share your bedside shelfies and nightly rituals with us using the hashtag #BedsideStories for a chance to be featured on our page!
Reverie Evening Herbal Supplement
The perfect addition to your nighttime routine, this tincture gives you a day's dose of CBD in addition to delicious sweet orange, chamomile, clary sage, skullcap, California poppy seed, and a small amount of organic stevia. ‡
Gentle and non-habit forming, Reverie™ will help you deeply relax and restore. We recommended using Reverie a couple of hours before bedtime to support your body in unwinding from the day and establishing a healthy nighttime routine.